Veggie bowls are my favorite go-to meals. They’re healthy, delicious and fun to make. This one is especially tasty as it includes some of my favorite vegan foods: tempeh, sweet potatoes, shiitake mushrooms and tahini. If you’re not a fan of tempeh, I’d recommend trying a few different modes of preparation before giving up on it. It took me a while to get used to it too, but now I love it and have it several times a week. Here’s the recipe. Let me know how you like it if you decide to make it:)
For the cinnamon-chili sweet potatoes:
1 small or 1/2 large sweet potato (about 200g), peeled
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 red hot chili pepper (chopped)
1 pinch of sea salt
1/2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
For the shiitake bacon:
50g fresh shiitake mushrooms
1-2tsp olive or coconut oil
1 pinch of sea salt
For the veggies:
1/4 head cauliflower (about 150g), chopped
1 red onion
1 green onion
1/2 orange bell pepper
1tbsp olive or coconut oil
sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
For the ginger-miso tempeh:
2tsp miso paste
1 thumb fresh ginger (grated)
For the pink dressing:
1tbsp white tahini
1 lime (the juice)
1tsp beet powder
1 cup raw baby spinach
1. Preheat the oven (180C/350F)
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Cut the sweet potato into approx 1 inch pieces and mix them with the oil, cinnamon, chili & salt (works best if you use your hands). Place the potatoes on one side of the tray and bake for 45min.
3. Slice the shiitake thinly and mix them with the oil & salt. Add the shiitake to the baking tray about 15-20 min after the potatoes and bake for 25-30min depending on how crispy you like it.
4. In a pan, heat the chopped veggies with the oil & seasonings. You can either cook them on low/medium for 20-25 min or on high for 5-10 (make sure the veggies don’t burn). 5. In a bowl, mix the grated ginger, miso paste & 3tbsp water. Slice the tempeh and “marinate” it in the miso mixture for a couple of minutes, then heat the slices in a pan at low-medium for 5-10min.
6. For the dressing, mix all the ingredients using a fork or a whisk.
7. Serve everything with the baby spinach and enjoy!